Reach for the Sky: A Fairy Tail rpg
Hello hello~ Join us here at RFTS and have fun!
Hello hello~ Join us here at RFTS and have fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snowy Descend (short story)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
leneor

leneor

Jewel : 0

Snowy Descend (short story) Empty
PostSubject: Snowy Descend (short story)   Snowy Descend (short story) EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Snowy Descend

Yeah, I know, it’s freezing cold. But it’s not like i can't take it, or that I really endanger myself of getting a cold or something, I don't come here very often anyways. Well, at least not at this time or these circumstances.

I hear the crunching below my feet, i know its deep into January already, but even here the snow should start disappearing already. I mean, Christmas is over, other than for Christmas, snow is only good for romantic couples. It might or might not be mentionable I’m not in a relationship; I think it comes from not being a ladies’ man. And of course that works perfectly with moving around several times and thus losing the possibility of getting into the 'childhood friend to lovers' relationship.

"Curseth thou be-est, thou cruel fate, thou!" I have to chuckle, yeah, if someone were to see or hear me that’d possibly be rather awkward right now. Oh well. Its past 1 am, safe to assume people aren’t going to walk around here.

I mean, this place is devoid of life around this hour, it’s a simple Swiss town popular among tourist in summer, and around normal times. (Do I have to mention I like winter and the fact I’m on the side of the river where people are living instead of cluttering the streets to make photos of old lame buildings?)

I don't come here often though, considering it's just about a few hundred meters to walk from my house, but I hate looking like a melancholic person for going out each day around this time kind of time, sitting at the silent river and watching the stars or clouds while opening my heart to

um, yeah, that probably makes me one anyway. It's just that I dislike loud noise and partying, I enjoy the serenity once in a while. Besides, this place really IS devoid of life. Driving somewhere to drink with the snow still around is kinda suicidal, so strike that too.

Though I really like it, I should come more often. It's basically a path going along the riverside. A large patch of grass and some steps leading down to the river - it's rather low on water right now. Normally crowded in summer, since people like to take a swim or mount their boats here, winter keeps people other than dog owners to avoid this place or pass through it quickly. It's about 45 meters, no, possibly 60 or meters wide. There are houses all around otherwise; I guess they made it for the tourists that like to take a stroll through the area and can catch a glimpse at the water without failing/falling into the pier on the opposing side of the river.

Geez, it's really cold, I can tell by the large clouds of hot air being shot out of my lungs. By all means, I like my winter jacket, it’s pretty efficient and warm, but it does - not - counter the cold if I’m just going to wear a T-shirt below. Mental note: don't do that moron.

Dismissing the rest of my useless thoughts and letting my mind wander, as the weak sounds coming from the stream echo inside the freezing air, I walk down the steps up until just two or three remain up to the surface and seat myself. Serenity, although I appreciate it, has its downside. It makes one slow and numb - enough one could fall asleep. Along with the cold it wouldn't be the best of choices realy.

I lean back, the stairs poking uncomfortably into my back, like I could fall asleep like that anyway. A few moments I gaze upwards at the stars which emerge between the clouds, before I feel myself shutting the eyes of mind. The breeze might be cold, but it in a really strange and ironic way it makes one experience a cozy feeling.
No, I really shouldn't stay like that! I force myself back into sitting but keeping my eyes shut, just using my sense of touch for the time being.

Okay, time to do my weirdness workout, like usual eh?

"I bet doing this nominates me for being mad, it’s nonsense after all." I take a breath. "I mean, try telling stuff to someone if there is no living soul to actually address, and asking stuff you won't get answers for - go figure, with me being that only living person here. Its nonsense asking questions if you know you don’t get an answer. Bonus points if you already know the answers anyway." I chuckle a little. Yeah, weird.

"I wonder why I always come here." Now comes the part where I move my lips, answering to myself.
“Because it's nice being here. I for one like the peace." lips speak.
"Yup, the peacefulness. I bet this would make a romantic place for couples."
“Then again, that only works if you're not alone."
"... Why am I alone?" I ask. It's the question making the mood drop, but it’s what I’d really like to know. I probably already know the answer, don’t I?
"...It's because there's nobody else around. If one always stays in place, one won't meet people. That is unless someone were to visit you in your secludedness" That is my reason.
"... I wonder how it works. Loving. Being together as a couple. Kissing."
"I'd love to know." of course i can't answer that. I never had the chance to. but... "let's try it."

Wait. I tilt my head sideways, a funny look printed on my face. "You know, this is a really weird thing to say to mys-"

"?!" what… ?

My lips - they felt like they had come in touch with cold velvet. Smooth, yet cold, but more surprising than just the feeling on my lips was what I saw the very moment, that moment which had taken hold of me. The girl having wrestled me down after connecting us with a kiss - she had closed her eyes, unlike mine which were widespread. It was a really simple kiss, something you couldn’t not return, one you would automatically return. I did, though I that did not change the fact l could not comprehend just what the hell was going on.

She broke the kiss, opening her eyes and moving away from my face a little. It was mesmerizing. Had she been there all along? On second thought, wasn't it her answering to all my questions? With her bend over me like that and the moonlight cooperating with the damaged streetlamp further down the road … she really looked like those ghost-women living within the frosted mountains, those from Japanese mythology. It probably really was the light, but her skin was pure as snow, and her golden hair possibly would be white if it weren’t for that stupid street lantern.

"You... you're beautiful..." okay, I just said something overly stupid and cliché didn’t I.
"w-why, thank you." I should really have noticed, my voice isn’t that high and reserved.
"Did we... just kiss?"
"Yes... yet, this is only a dream." She had begun frowning.
"Huh? A dream?"
"Nothing more than an illusion while we ... sleep."
"But... wait, then why does this feel so real?" I held her hand. At which point did I reach out for her?
"..." she didn't answer to me, that probably meant I was supposed to be wrong.
"Why can this not be real?" seriously though, why not?
"... would you please wake up?" she gave me a smile and went closer to my face again.
"?!" I know I shouldn’t be this surprised all the time, especially if she is trying to k-kiss me! She is closing in again, I’m not sure what she said last but... I can’t help but close my eyes too at a time like this!

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

My hands were frozen cold - my whole body is feeling cold! It shudders from the realisation - this just now really was a dream! I fell asleep while lying on the steps leading into a river at somewhere past 1 am and around -5°C or something.

"I should go home for today. I don’t want to freeze to death and haunt this place. That would be unfortunate." I jump up shaking off the cold embrace of winter; taking up the steps and leading to the path back home, I feel something is still missing...

"Thank you for waking me... “

“okay, this really sounded awkward now... “I’m going to head home now. “But if there were someone I’d like to thank that person for doing that."

"And I would like to meet her again."

Congratulations, you really are going mad – then again, they say the same about couples being madly in love. Leaving those words behind I take my leave, I really don’t know if there actually was someone or if I’m weak to having really awkward but admittedly nice dreams.

Well, I can say something happened, just that I cannot explain it with normal logic. I'll probably come here tomorrow to figure it out or just realize my mind if playing tricks on me. Either way, even if it was just imagination, I would probably like to imagine it again.

“see ya.” I raise my hand before taking the steep way up the hill to my home.” Geez, I exercise being weird a bit too often, don't I...

“I will be waiting for you.” I cannot help but smile as he leaves. That person which is strange enough to talk with no living soul around, that person which talks with me.

I cannot help but utter these words - “Thank you for visiting me in my secludedness. “

__________________________________________________________________________________
THE END
__________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down

Snowy Descend (short story)
Page 1 of 1